Skip to main content

Lemon rice {Vegan + Gluten-free + Jain}



Like entire India, I am still recuperating from Diwali madness too. I have eaten a lot of food these past few days. So much cooking and eating has happened that I want to take a break (Yes! you heard me right, I want to take a break)

Growing up, I wasn't really a fan of South Indian food. When I moved to Mumbai to pursue studies, I realized that if I had to eat out everyday for survival, it better be healthy. And so started my fondness for South Indian cuisine. I ate it everyday for breakfast for 6 straight months.



My love for South Indian cuisine still prevails. One of my favorite dish is upma podi which is served at Madras Cafe, Mumbai. I think it is one of the best place to eat anything South Indian. They also serve the best "filter coffee"! It is difficult to not stop by Madras Cafe , entire atmosphere is filled with aroma of filter coffee.

My other South Indian favorites are sambhar, onion uttapam, oats upma, fried idli and of-course the tangy lemon rice. Lemon rice is unbelievably easy to prepare. It is a great way to turn left-over rice into something amazing which can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner. If you are using freshly prepared rice then make sure to cool it down before making this dish. Rice prepared with fresh lemon juice and aromatic curry leaves capture taste buds instantly!



Ingredients (Serves 1)

1 cup cooked rice (Aldente- with a bite)
2 Tsp Oil
1/2 Tsp Mustard seeds
7-8 Curry leaves
1 Green chili - chopped
1/2 lemon- juiced
1/2 Tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander for garnish

Method

Add salt, turmeric and lemon juice to cooked rice and mix lightly. Keep aside.

In a small kadhai/frying pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds.

Once mustard seeds crackle, add curry leaves and chopped green chili. Immediately stir in rice and cook for further 5 minutes.

Garnish with fresh coriander. Serve hot.


Thanks for reading!

Love

Nishu


Love South Indian food? My Carrot salad (South Indian style) is a must try



Comments

  1. the information you have updated is very good and useful, please update further.
    if you require any info regarding TAX & GSTR please visit
    Food Safety License in Bangalore
    new company registration Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome informative content. Great job I just want to ask Did anyone of you ever try Banarasi paan if not then just try it is one of the hidden gem of Indian Cuisines.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment